Originally called Green Hall to honor Dean James Woods Green, dean of the law school, the Greco-Roman style building was constructed to house the School of Law in 1904. Site selection was in accordance with the landscape architect George Kesler's 1904 long-range campus plan, which called for new buildings to be situated along the ridge of Mount Oread, now Jayhawk Boulevard. The statue of James Green by Daniel Chester French that stands in front of the building was unveiled in 1924. (see "Jimmy Green") A late addition was built at the back of Green.
Law students met in Green Hall for seven decades and created a tradition of congregating on the front steps to observe students walk past. According to contemporary accounts, their comments caused women students to detour to the opposite side of the street.
In 1973 Green was added to the National Register of Historic Places. A new law building was constructed along 15th Street in 1977 and was also named Green Hall. The old Green was renamed Lippincott in 1979, to honor Joshua A. Lippincott, KU chancellor from 1883 to 1889. The building now houses the Wilcox Classical Museum and the offices of Study Abroad.
The Wilcox Collection in Lippencott Hall features plaster casts of ancient Greek statues. The collection was originally housed for use by art and art history students in Old Fraser Hall. The Boston Cast Company, founded by Pietro and Emilio Caproni, still makes the statues for a cost of $5,000 a piece.
John F. Stanton, State Architect
William Nadlehoffer, Lawrence
Tan-gray brick, stretcher bond; terra cotta trim
Oread limestone, squared
Red-painted metal; hip; parapet; boxed cornice; decorated frieze; finials; two interior chimneys
Flat arch lintels, brick voussoirs; terra cotta lugsils and keystones
Flat arch, brick; decorative panels
Portico:Three stories; four fluted Ionic columns surrounded by cast-iron architrave and decorated pediment